Album Review: Cults - Offering

Cults (bandcamp)

Cults - Offering (Sinderlyn)

Released: October 6th, 2017

NYC based indie-pop duo Cults is back with their third full-length album, Offering. Known for their critically acclaimed breakout single "Go Outside", Cults has been hanging around the indie-pop stream for a little while now.

Comprised of two main members, Madeline Follin and Brian Oblivion, Cults are a group that have never fully grabbed my attention. Their sound always seemed drab to me or just very plain. And that doesn't seem to change with this new release.

To be blunt, there wasn't much to offer from Offering.

Right from the start, the self-titled track does have a solid energy and vibe, but I feel like I've heard a song just like this a thousand times. The melody and the overall sonics are stale right from the get-go.

The second song is different. "I Took Your Picture" is a smooth indie-pop tune. The drumming is crisp and tight while the synths drive the song. The vocal layer fits snug atop the instrumental. A pretty solid song in a set of poor ones.

Another highlight for me was "Clear from Far Away". The drums are steady while the guitar and bass line follow suit. The synth play adds a great layer around the song and throughout. The song is catchy all the way through.

Outside of those two tracks, I can't find much to enjoy with this album.

Especially on tracks like "With My Eyes Closed" or "Natural State". I feel like the band is relying on a certain "vibe" or mood to carry the song's weight. But they just come off as boring and slightly annoying.

Overall, this album is pretty sleepy and melancholic. Which isn't the reason I find the album to be dull, because there are solid melancholic albums out there that are still captivating. I feel like their sound hasn't progressed and it's still stuck in the past.

To its advantage, the album does have a wide array of glistening synthesizers and solid drum patches, but they fail to put them all together to create a solid album. There's just not much more to say about Offering, listen below...


Genre: Indie-Pop/Pop/Indie/Alternative/Alt-Pop/Dream-Pop/Synth-Pop

Rating: 3/10

Fav Tracks: I Took Your Picture, Clear from Far Away


Comments