Album Review: Aminé - Good For You

TheseDays.News

Aminé - Good For You (Republic Records)

Released: July 28th, 2017

Portland, Oregon based rapper and hip-hop artist Aminé is here with his debut album, Good For You. Known for his viral hip-hop hit "Caroline", Aminé is a musician who doesn't seem to take himself to seriously. That can be assumed after watching his music videos, which are full of fun and humor, or even after a handful of interviews. His lyrics and wordplay is light, easy to catch, goofy, and entertaining.

I am a fan of his singles, especially "RedMercedes", which is a Missy Elliot inspired jam that is full of double entendres and goofy lines. I was excited for his full-length debut, I wanted to see if he was more than just a viral hit.

The lead track "Veggies (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)" is a great song. It starts off very relaxed and laid-back. Aminé sings over guitar licks and simple percussion until an awesome beat switch-up hits halfway through. I don't really understand why he even had Ty Dolla $ign on the track, kinda irrelevant but it's a good start regardless.

"Yellow (feat. Nelly)" has a pretty cool beat courtesy of Metro Boomin. The chorus is very nice too, Aminé and Nelly sound well together in this section. But outside of that, this track isn't that special, which is unfortunate. I would have liked to see some really awesome verses go with this wide and confident chorus.

I enjoyed most of this album, honestly. Some of my favorites on Good For You include "Spice Girl", "Wedding Crashers (feat. Offset)", "Sundays", "Turf", "Blinds", "Slide", and "Money".

I love the production on both "Spice Girl", "Wedding Crashers", and "Slide". The beats are punchy but the melodies are so light, poppy, and amusing. The sound and style is very similar to Aminé's contemporaries, such as Lil Yachty or KYLE.

The acoustic drums on "Sunday" is a great touch. I also love the vocal help from Leon Bridges on the outro and throughout. This R&B inspired song also reminds me of a Chance The Rapper-type beat or production style.

"Turf" is probably Aminé's most mature and professional track. The production is phenomenal and the instrumentation is so smooth. The lyrics discuss what its like to leave home and grow up, which is a theme that I think fits the sound of the song perfectly. Aminé doesn't get too personal but it definitely touches on feelings he hasn't expressed earlier.

The groove and drum rhythm on "Blinds" is my favorite on the whole album, but unfortunately the song is only a minute and a half. I wish he expanded on this track, not only because it has an awesome groove but it contains another awesome chorus.

I couldn't stand the track "STFU". The super cheesy chorus kills the song and I feel like the minimalistic production really killed the track. Very unimpressive, especially after hearing him produce such other great tracks on the record.

Overall, Good For You is not a bad debut album from Aminé. I thought the production was very lax and fun. As I mentioned before, I found his sound very similar to that of his contemporaries, so he's not really branching out too much. I thought some of the chorus melodies on this thing were fantastic, but I wish some of them were surrounded with more meaningful lyrics, even though I don't think we'll see that from Aminé anytime soon.
His singing voice actually isn't bad by any means, which is a facet of his musical abilities I would love to see him expand on. The features weren't too impressive nor did that they add too much to any of the tracks, especially on "Wedding Crashers". I'm a big fan of Offset, but his feature wasn't the best.

From a critical standpoint, I believe if Aminé cut a few tracks off of this record, and spent more time on the ones he was gonna release, I think this debut would have been a lot more focused, memorable, and lasting.

This is a solid album for the summer. This has some decent hip-hop/R&B tracks that you can throw on while you're hanging out at the beach, by the pool, or just enjoying the sun. Listen below...

Listen:
Aminé - Caroline
Aminé - Wedding Crashers (feat. Offset)
Aminé - Turf

Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B/Pop-Rap/Pop/Radio Hip-Hop

Rating: 7/10

Fav Songs: Veggies, Caroline, Spice Girl, Wedding Crashers, Sundays, Turf, Blinds, Slide, Money




Comments