Album Review: The Drums - Abysmal Thoughts

redutodorock.com.br

The Drums - Abysmal Thoughts (Anti)

Released: June 16th, 2017


The Drums are back with their first album in 3 years, Abysmal Thoughts. Main member and frontman Jonny Pierce has been writing songs for The Drums for almost 10 years, and that process continues on their 4th studio release.

Prior to the official release date, The Drums released 4 singles from this album. I thought all 4 songs were extremely catchy and very fun to listen to.

The first single being "Blood Under My Belt", which contained these simple and straightforward guitar licks but also had a driving rhythm section. Pierce's voice sits right on top of the instrumentation so comfortably. I love the chorus of this song so much, very easy to catch on to and sing along to.

The lead song "Mirror" starts off very subtle and then expands into this awesome 4-minute opener. The ghostly "WHO ARE YOU" lyrics are a very nice touch all throughout. The build up to the chorus is awesome, the thumping kick-drum with the descending bass line really gets the attention of the listener before the very quick and active chorus melody. All in all a good start to this album.

"Heart Basel" is another one that caught my attention. The picked guitar melody is so simple but proves to be catchy. That guitar melody sits right next to these fun and playful synth keys that really go hand-in-hand with the guitar section. A straight forward drum pattern with a slick bass line combine to make another decent single.

One of my favorites on the whole album "Head of the Horse" is a fantastic track. A slower and more calm track but still an exciting listen. The heavy and punchy drums with the synth melody combine with the very airy and light vocal arrangement very well. An arp melody is eventually added later on. Jonny also adds some "OOOOO's" during the chorus to really add to that spaced out and light effect. Very straightforward instrumentation, nothing crazy, but it creates an awesome track.

Outside of those 4 singles, this album didn't do much for me. I found the 4 singles to be the most interesting and most catchy on the whole album. Songs like "Are U Fucked" or "Your Tenderness" have these obvious themes that The Drums are trying to tend to but it feels as though they are missing something. I don't know necessarily what they are missing, but I believe something needs to be added to give more "oomf" to these tracks.

"I'll Fight For Your Life" is another good song on the record. I do enjoy the higher energy instrumentation combined with Jonny's ghostly vocals on this track. The title track is a very wide and intense pattern supported by these yelling vocals of "Abysmal Thoughts". Although not one of my favorite songs on the record, it was definitely a high point in terms of singing on the record.

Overall, I feel like The Drums came through with an 'okay' record. As I state again, outside of the singles and a few tracks, this album wasn't very appealing. Jonny Pierce does have an extremely good handle on how to write this quick indie-pop/punk songs, but the problem is that we are only presented with that form the whole 50 minutes. Each song either contains a looping synth melody or repeating guitar section, which obviously isn't a bad thing but it can become repetitive quickly. He even does those things on the singles, but I found the melodies on the singles to be way more catchy than the others, and even very danceable at some points. Not one of my favorite albums of the year so far, but definitely contained some of my favorite singles. Listen below...

Rating: 5/10
Fav Songs: Mirror, I'll Fight For Your Life, Blood Under My Belt, Heart Basel, Head of the Horse



Comments