Album Review: Future Islands - The Far Field

Photo: Indiespot

Future Islands - The Far Field (4AD)

Released: April 7th, 2017

Future Islands is back with another beautifully arranged synth-pop album, The Far Field. This album is a follow up to their 2014 release Singles. I didn't fully catch on to Singles until about a year after its release and even then I wasn't fully hooked. It took me a while to get into that album but once I did I was addicted to their energetic synth-sound. That same sound continues on this new record and is more full and lush than ever.

I was anticipating this album ever since they dropped the single "Ran". A ringing synth sound covered by a gorgeous bass line paves the way for Herring's vocals to take over. The hi-hats that kick in to another gear during the chorus fill this song with so much passion and intensity. Herring's voice combined with the instrumentation throughout this record provide that same passion and intensity to each song on this album, even more so on the second single "Cave". The building synth-keys and strong bass line are so catchy and smooth. The addition of Herring's crooning on the chorus make for a beautiful Future Islands song.

The only time on the album where I feel Herring's voice is not being used efficiently is on the songs "Candles" and "Shadows (Feat. Debbie Harry)". The slower tempo of "Candles" is a nice change of pace on this record but I feel like Herring's voice is just so much more powerful and meaningful behind a higher paced instrumentation. His vocals still fit the song nicely but they are just not being used to their full capacity. I am not a huge fan of the song "Shadows" solely because of the Debbie Harry (Blondie) feature. I feel as her vocals don't fit the song seamlessly nor do they complement Herring's cadence. This one makes me upset because "Shadows" is one of my favorite instrumentals on the album.

Another issue I have with The Far Field is that after only a few listens I find the songs blending and meshing together, each song isn't very distinct from the others on the album.

Regardless, I thoroughly enjoy listening to this album. The driving bass lines, omnipresent and room-filling synths combine with concise drumming to make a passionate record. Future Islands continue to hone and shape their own personal sound on The Far Field. Listen below...

Listen: Future Islands - Ran
Rating: 7.5/10
Fav Songs: Aladdin, Time On Her Side, Beauty of the Road, Ran, Cave, Through the Roses, North Star, Ancient Water




Comments