M.O.T.M. June 2017



LA Weekly

Music of the Month: June 2017

Album of the Month:
Lorde - Melodrama (Universal Music) released June 16th
She is back after a very long 4 year wait. Ever since her break out song "Royals" and her debut album Pure Heroine, which included her flawless voice overtop of these minimalistic beats, I have been a Lorde fan. Melodrama is hands down my favorite of the month and a top contender for album of the year, in my opinion. I was not expecting to like this album as much as I do, but after numerous listens I completely fell in love with the sound.
Her lyrics show struggles of a break up as well as growing up and maturing. From the single "Green Light" all the way until the end, this album was exciting, fun, and such an enjoyable listen. With the help from Bleachers' Jack Antonoff, the production throughout is very thorough and full, matching Lorde's vocals and energy perfectly. The album is versatile, containing danceable songs, beautiful ballads, and straightforward pop tracks. Honestly, there was not a song I did not enjoy on this record. Listen below...

Listen: Lorde - Green Light & Lorde - Liability
Rating: 9.5/10
Fav Songs: ALL

Other Albums:

Beach Fossils - Somersault (Checkout my review HERE)
Listen: This Year

Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song (Checkout my review HERE)
Listen: Shine on Me

Phoenix - Ti Amo (Checkout my review HERE)
Listen: J Boy

Kirin J Callinan - Bravado
Listen: Bravado

B Boys - Dada
Listen: Discipline

Com Truise - Iteration
Listen: Memory

Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
Listen: Big Fish

Baio - Man of the World
Listen: Philosophy

Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1
Listen: Feels

Japanese House - Saw You In a Dream (EP)
Listen: Saw You In a Dream

Songs of the Month:
Hip-Hop/Rap
Amine - Turf & Blinds (New album Good For You releases 7/28)
Tyler, the Creator - Who Dat Boy & 911/Mr. Lonely
Pop/Rock/Alt/Indie
Ariel Pink - Another Weekend (New album Dedicated to Bobby Jameson releases 9/15)
Beach House - Chariot (New album B-Sides and Rarities out now)
Cage the Elephant - Whole Wide World (New album Unpeeled releases 7/28)
Declan McKenna - Humongous (New album What Do You Think About The Car? releases 7/21)
Everything Everything - Can't Do (New album A Fever Dream releases 8/18)
The Fresh and Onlys - Wolf Lie Down (New album Wolf Lie Down releases 8/25)
The Growlers - Late Bloomers
Haim - Want You Back (New album Something To Tell You releases 7/7)
The Killers - The Man
Matty - Embarrassed
Toro y Moi - Girl Like You (New album Boo Boo releases 7/7)
Turnover - Super Natural (New album Good Nature releases 8/25)
Tycho - See (feat. Beacon)
War on Drugs - Holding On (New album A Deeper Understanding releases 8/25)

Misses of the Month:
Bleachers - Gone Now
As a full album, this didn't really excite me too much, but I absolutely love some of the singles. Songs like "Don't Take The Money" and "Everybody Lost Somebody" are fantastic songs, but as a full project, I thought it missed the mark.
Listen: Don't Take The Money

The Drums - Abysmal Thoughts
(Checkout my review HERE)
Listen: Blood Under My Belt

Halsey - Hopeless Fountain Kingdom
(Checkout my review HERE)
Listen: Strangers (feat. Lauren Jauregui)

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Murder of the Universe
Normally a huge fan of this band and everything they produce, but they fell short on this new record. I thought the album felt repetitive and not as enjoyable as there previous records.
Listen: Altered Beast I

Washed Out - Mister Mellow
Album lives up to its title, very mellow and very relaxed album. I am a huge fan of Washed Out's Life of Leisure EP and I really wished for an album similar to that, but that didn't happen. Only enjoyed a couple songs.
Listen: Hard to Say Goodbye




Comments