M.O.T.M. March 2017

Photo: SXSW

Music of the Month: March 2017


Album of the Month:
Spoon - Hot Thoughts (Matador) Released on 3/17
Spoon delivers nothing short of a groovy, thrilling, and funky 10 song album on their 9th studio release. I fell in love with this band mainly due to their popular singles including "The Way We Get By", "I Turn My Camera On", and "The Underdog". I did truly enjoy their 2007 release Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and even more so their last studio album from 2014, They Want My SoulThey Want My Soul was a great album that I find myself constantly revisiting to this day. Songs like "Inside Out" and "New York Kiss" are personal favorites. Hot Thoughts is still full of that original Spoon vibe but it feels so much more thrilling and exciting to listen to. "Hot Thoughts" is a great single, the straightforward guitar riff that hits at 30 seconds leads the way for the track as well as that omnipresent "buzzing-like" synth. "WhisperI'lllistentohearit" plays a huge part for the thrill factor on this record. Personally, I feel like this song is constantly building and will never stop. Even towards the last 20 seconds, I feel like this song has so much more to go. "Do I Have to Talk You Into It" is another jam on this record. Those pulsating keyboard hits at 30 seconds are just so beautiful and elegant and fit the song perfectly. "Pink Up" and "I Ain't the One" are two gorgeous slow/chill songs, still very catchy in their own right. My personal favorite on the whole record "Can I Sit Next to You" is such a good song. That opening riff with the bass hits and the claps, immediately hooked. The synth play that comes alive about halfway through the song and until the finish adds a great layer to the overall record. The closer on this record, "Us" is this random, jazz-esque, instrumental slow jam. Personally, I thought it was a weird way to end this record but it is a very graceful piece nonetheless. Listen below...

Listen: Spoon - Can I Sit Next to You

Rating: 7/10
Fav Songs: Hot Thoughts, WhisperI'lllistentohearit, Do I Have to Talk You Into It, Can I Sit Next to You

Other Albums to Check Out:

Temples - Volcano (Released 3/3)
Listen: Strange Or Be Forgotten
Methyl Ethel - Everything is Forgotten (Released 3/3)
Listen: No. 28
Tennis - Yours Conditionally (Released 3/10)
Listen: My Emotions Are Blinding
Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - The French Press EP (Released 3/10)
Listen: French Press
Real Estate - In Mind (Released 3/17)
Listen: Darling

Songs of the Month: Click to Listen!

Hip-Hop/Rap
Calvin Harris - Slide (Feat. Frank Ocean & Migos)
Denzel Curry & BADBADNOTGOOD - Ultimate
Frank Ocean - Chanel
G-Eazy & Carnage - Guala & Gimme Gimme (New EP Step Brothers out now)
GoldLink - Crew (Feat. Brent Faiyaz & Shy Glizzy) (New album At What Cost out now)
Joey Bada$$ - Rockabye Baby (Feat. ScHoolBoy Q) (New album ALL-AMERIKKKAN BADA$$ releases 4/7)
Kendrick Lamar - The Heart Part 4 & HUMBLE.
Logic - Everybody (New album Everybody releases 5/5)
Pop/Rock/Alt/Indie
BADBADNOTGOOD - Coffee Cold (Feat. Mike D) (Cover of the original by Galt MacDermot)
Beach Fossils - This Year (New album Somersault releases 6/2)
Districts - Ordinary Day (New album soon)
The Drums - Blood Under My Belt (New album Abysmal Thoughts releases 6/16)
Future Islands - Cave (New album The Far Field releases 4/7)
Hoops - On Top (New album Routines releases 5/5)
Pond - The Weather (New album The Weather releases 5/5)
San Cisco - Hey, Did I Do You Wrong?
Timber Timbre - Velvet Gloves & Spit (New album Sincerely, Future Pollution releases 4/7)



Comments